On October 11, 2022, I participated in the trustee board meeting that elected Clear Creek Baptist Bible College’s next president. It was an exciting time for the school and Kentucky Baptists as Dr. Charlie Goodman was announced and voted in unanimously for this important role in the life of this historic Kentucky Baptist Bible college.
Current President Dr. Donnie Fox and his wife, Penny, have served Clear Creek faithfully, and are deserving of the retirement they are about to enjoy. Clear Creek, under Dr. Fox’s leadership, is poised for its next phase of ministry under its new leader.
President-elect Dr. Charlie Goodman is no stranger to the school — or to Kentucky Baptists — and will bring fresh vision and energy to the school.
Here are five observations about Clear Creek’s new president:
1. He loves Clear Creek: Dr. Goodman has a long history with the school and deep connections. Already serving as Professor of theology and having received a bachelor’s degree from Clear Creek puts him miles down the road relationally and culturally to serve the school well. The Presidential Search Team was hoping to find a man with deep Clear Creek connections to serve as the school’s next president, and it did so with Bro. Charlie.
2. He is loved by the students, staff and faculty: When it was announced that Dr. Goodman was voted in as president-elect, there was spontaneous applause in the room and vocal support for the
3. He will lead with fresh vision: After just a short conversation with Dr. Goodman following his election, it became quickly apparent that he will hit the ground running in his new role, and that he comes into it having already given much thought and prayer as to how he can advance the mission of the school and increase its impact. Dr. Goodman wants to see Clear Creek hold onto its strong traditions and move into the future, reaching and training more students for ministry in the local church.
4. He will lead with clear purpose: Dr. Goodman commented after his election that every decision will be built around three guiding principles. He said, “We do it for the glory of the Lord, for the good of the student and for the growth of Clear Creek.” From what I know of Bro. Charlie, he is a man of integrity and conviction, and he will not shy away from the hard work needed to lead a Bible college in today’s culture.
5. He will need strength, wisdom and direction from the Lord: The greatest need of every Christian leader is to recognize their complete and utter dependence on God. Dr. Goodman knows that God has given him a big assignment, but he also knows that the God who gave it to him is able to work through him for its completion.
I am grateful for Dr. Charlie Goodman and cannot wait to assist him as he gives leadership to the important gospel work of Clear Creek Baptist Bible College. Please join me in praying for Clear Creek and for Bro. Charlie as he moves into his new role in January, 2023.